CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

living in DC

I love living in DC. The past couple of weeks we've really been getting out. I have been taking the metro with all three boys too! There are lots of upsides of the place.

The big downside is the transient nature of people living here. People tend to come here from other far off places to intern or work a job temporarily. Or they work a job, start a family and realize they want to be closer to home again with their family. Or they just move to the 'burbs. I generally don't mind that. I love getting to know people, keep in touch and know that one day when we want to travel to these really cool places they all live, we can go visit!

But sometimes it means that you feel like you want to get to know someone better and it just can't happen because of time. We (I) met a family last year that moved to DC for an internship at our church for the past year. It's time for them to move on. They have two boys and are really fun. Caed loved their oldest right away. I had anticipated not getting to know them because I knew they'd be leaving....I resisted. I tried to avoid wanting to be friends. I had twin babies, so it was easy to avoid with their busyness. But it was so much fun getting the boys together. Today as we had a last playdate for the kids, and all 5 were running around the grass and gravel of the National Mall, I realized that I really did like them! I was sad that I didn't get to know them better and have them over for a meal. We do have great friends in DC, I was just reminded how hard it still is to watch families leave regardless of how well you know them.

Today Amy was willing to corral the kids and enjoy the Air and Space Museum. I pray for the best for them, and we will stay in touch as they plant a church in Miami- but I shouldn't have waited this long to commit to getting to know them better. I know it's more then just us that will miss them too.

All 5 boys


C and A: (Caed actually wasn't feeling great today, so he wasn't so compliant with the smiling)




1 comments:

Claire said...

Glad you got to spend the time with everyone before they moved away - with all the electronic help we have no one is ever far away - which is why I love it when you blog photos - and we use the Skype!