CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Music

I've posted before about Caed and liking music. Recently when we are listening to the radio he's been asking me "what are they singing about mom?" I started to think about what I listen to, and decided to not change what I listen to (everything) but to be aware of what was being said and then if Caed could understand it, and if he talked about it or whatever. I love all sorts of music- we listen to a christian radio station most of the time, but we don't get that station in our bedroom upstairs for some reason, so we just have a popular secular station that I like to listen to on from time to time. Even in the summer we don't the christian station at our regular radio in the living room, so we tend to put on the secular station, a CD, or classical music. We're just all over the place with what Jon and I both like.

One morning I was making our bed and I heard that new Pink song come on the radio. Lots of "nananana, nananna"s and a fun beat, so I turned it up. If you've ever heard the song and paid attention to the first bit, she talks about her (ex) husband and wanting to fight. I hadn't paid attention to the words before that day and was all of the sudden worried because the words were crystal clear- and Caed and I were dancing. We listened a little bit longer and then I opted to turn it off. Then Caed said something to me about wanting to fight. I explained to my two year old that that wasn't a nice song and we don't like to fight, so that's why I turned it off. He was fine with that. We went on with our day. In the afternoon he brought up the song again and the fighting part. YIKES. I think I reached the time to tailor my music listening in front of him.

Yesterday we were listening to the christian radio station in the car and he again was asking me what the people were singing about. It was so nice to tell him they were singing about wanting to be compassionate (he roughly knows what that is from the veggie tales Jonah movie) Brandon Heath- Give Me Your Eyes (i think is what it was). He proceeded to ask me about the other songs that came on too. Then he started to tell me what they were singing about- and sometimes it was the general "Jesus" but sometimes he would elaborate, and it was so sweet. So we're taking the opportunity to use the music to teach him and reinforce positive issues (no more fighting!!).

My parents always let us listen to what we wanted for the most part, but encouraged heavily Christian music. My mom always listened to all sorts of music- and growing up I loved all sorts. We don't plan to limit our kids music listening, but I think playing the edifying music around them will be a priority, especially at this very young age. It's obvious that they're listening.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post and a reminder about what we (and the kids) are listening to!