CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 26, 2010

you can do it too!


last Sunday I accomplished half of a goal. I ran a half marathon. 13.1 miles.
While pregnant with the twins I realized it might be a bit harder to loose the weight the second (and third) time around. I considered taking up running, once it was possible. It took a little longer to start running then I anticipated because of the logistics. That's when hubby gave me the amazing Christmas gift to the gym with childcare.
I started running on the treadmill in March. I ran a 5K in April, and had my heart set on the Paris Marathon 2011. I found a half to run which I thought would be a good indicator before registering for Paris on how I'd do. I ran in this past weekend. I was a bit slower then I anticipated due to a few reasons. I think I'm going to put off Paris another year, and try for a closer to home Marathon next year. So I'll stick with my goal of distance, but I'll put off the destination for now.
I am really really proud of myself. I don't feel badly about putting off Paris, because I think the bigger objective is getting healthy and having energy for my family. Running has made me a better mom and wife (i think!)
Other friends and family are really supportive and proud too. I keep reminding them that it's not hard to do when you take the time to train. You could do it too if you set out to train. It's not like I woke up last Sunday and decided to run 13.1 miles...I've been working really hard at it for months. Don't underestimate your own abilities when you work up to something- give yourself a small goal and then what you think you can handle from there....there were weeks it was hard- there were my long runs that took a long time... that my knees hurt me or I didn't have the best mood...and my tummy gave me problems, once home, at 10+ miles! i kept trudging through and had a good time. And I did it- and i wasn't last or didn't have to be picked up by the van that drives at the end...
so thankful that my family has made the sacrifice too.

4 comments:

shauna said...

I'm so proud of you! And come to San Francisco and run the marathon here! There's several to choose from. Maybe I'll be ready to run with you! Ben and I are doing P90X!

kenady said...

AMAZING!! that's you:)

Teagan said...

you are amazing! and think you accomplished more than half a goal - 13.1 miles is a goal in and of itself! running is my 2011 goal :)

LB said...

So so awesome, Lauren! You are an inspiration! Hooray for Jon too - it's a family commitment to let you train for something like this. Keep posting!
Lv LauraB.