CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Khaki

On Monday I had a vet appointment for Khaki. She has been coughing more and more since we had the diagnosis of possible cancer back in August. She still seems to be happy-go-lucky Khaki, but two obvious lumps have grown in addition to the coughing.

They x-rayed her and indeed she has metastasic (?) cancer, and it had grown and spread since August. She shouldn't be as happy or comfortable as she seems to be. She should be loosing weight and energy. But she hasn't. And there are some days I think she wants three bowls of food instead of the normal two. She pulls Caed in the stroller and I further then we want to walk almost every time. She still gets excited and not because we force her too.

She's on prednisone and an antibiotic. So she's gotten good about going tinkle in our backyard finally! But our amazing pup most likely doesn't have longer then 6 months. This is a shock to us because Khaki has been the best dog ever. I know that there are lots of great dogs- but one that came with no known background and then had a baby brought into the mix she's been extremely wonderful. I plan to take a bunch of pictures in the next week, but I wanted to post this little video of Khaki's mood today (jumping up on me!) and a little of Caed performing a new trick. (one that I don't ask him to perform, but for demonstration sake I did this time)

Also this week Caed has been faithfully calling Khaki "Khaki-Girl" from his crib after I've gone into his room. He wants to see her. Last night he randomly decided to pet her when she was laying down on her side. He was petting her stomach and I tried to video that but he stopped before I could. This little boy will be asking for Khaki long after she's gone, even though he won't remember her when he's older....

We will miss our first girl!

(I apologize for the weird sound static thing going on, it wasn't in the original video...I can't fix it..)

4 comments:

Kiki said...

I, who do not like dogs, who really never wanted a dog after Shaker....love Khaki, I think she is the sweetest, smartest dog I've ever known. She is gentle and loving, as if sensing that I am nervous she wants to make sure she does nothing to upset me...I love her, please give her an extra hug and a cookie from me. All my love to you Lauren...to Jon and Caed as well!

April Joy said...

I can't get the video to work! I love Khak-a-laki!

Anonymous said...

Khaki girl. I think that is what my kids thought our puppy would be like....sweet thing. And I would get that lock you mentioned this weekend.

Claire said...

Khaki is REALLY the best dog in the world - it is like she went to etiquette school for dog's and graduated at the top of her class!! She is the kindest looking dog I have ever known and just never intrudes but is always there for you - love to you, Jonathan and Caed as you go through these bittersweet days.
Mom