CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 18, 2009

Neighborhood

We live in a great neighborhood. We love our neighbors and they really enjoy watching our family grow. We know everyone who lives on our block and then a lot of others around us. When we moved in we were intentional about introducing ourselves. We also wrote down people's names and where they lived or how we met them- we wanted them to know we knew who they were. We attended the neighborhood meetings. When we considered buying this house we came through the neighborhood during the day and night. We wanted to know what the block was like at all times. We saw nothing and neighbors all have been here for years and love it. There have been the things here and there that remind us that we are in an urban setting (like the full FBI raid on the house across the street!). Our neighborhood is composed of mostly retired African American former government employees. A lot of them served in Vietnam too. I only mention this to give you a sense of the "solid-ness" of the people here...and the picture that they love our little kids in a grandparent sort of way.

Every year there is a community day here, and it's at the rec center that is directly behind our house. We go over every year. And every year we're asked about 3 or 4 times if we are the "couple on the corner" or the couple "up around the hill". We're never asked if we're the couple directly behind the rec center, and we always explain where we live. They are surprised usually. (we've somehow snuck in 5 years ago!) This year we were only asked once. The man kept referring to us as another couple, but i think I finally described who we were accurately when I told him the names of our neighbors- who he knew (everyone has really lived here for forever!). Then he asked like most people do how we like the neighborhood. This year I just started off by saying that we've lived here for 5 years. We like it. It seems like a funny question to still be getting 5 years in. Imagine living someplace for 20 years, it's kind of that feeling...we are the neighborhood...we're not just experiencing it. Anyway, after we came home is when I finally realized that we are seriously asked the same round of questions every year. I wish that at some point it would end. I know they are just trying to be friendly, but rather then assume we are the other white couple then who we are, can't we just get asked where we live, before guessing the two other places those other couples live? I laugh at the situation every time. It's pretty obvious to me what their questions are implying...

We love our neighborhood. One of my prayers for our family and our kids is that we would be examples of generosity, kindness and our faith to our neighbors- no matter who they are.

a side story from the neighborhood party: a boy at the moon bounce asked me for an "air sip" of my soda that I was holding. He wanted me to pour my soda, and he would open his mouth for a sip without touching the can. Umm, no, yuck. I told him he didn't know me and that I wouldn't do that for him, besides my can was empty. yuck, yuck, yuck!

0 comments: