CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Zoo


This past weekend Caed came down with a virus called Hand Foot Mouth Disease. It's highly contagious so we were quarantined until today. I decided last minute to head over to the zoo. It's 15 minutes in good conditions to drive there and I figured I could find a spot to park before 10am no problem. I wasn't bringing the stroller and just packed up some quick food to eat. I ended up have his push trike in the back of the car which I forgot about, so I decided to use that. It actually went really well to use it! We had a good time and a lot of the animals were out today. It was the first time I've seen the cheetah awake, and he was actually alert and looking to hunt a bird or something- It was fun. The biggest part of our visit were the elephants. I always feel so sorry for them in their cramped space (and even smaller right now due to construction of a larger area for them in the future). But we'd never be able to see an elephant in real life if it were not for the zoo. Two elephants were out in the yard, and one was inside getting scrubbed down. It was a lot of fun for Caed. We stayed only and hour and a half, but living so close affords me a trip like that, and I need to be mindful of that.



I still have pictures to post from CT, but I wanted to post these today for my mom.





At the entrance, sorry he's in the shadow, but I couldn't adjust my settings quick enough for another photo..






At the Panda exhibit, we actually got to see one, it was in the distance, but you could see it's whole body because of how it was laying, and even Caed could tell what it was.


The two elephants in the yard. At first Caed was actually nervous, but then he didn't want to leave...


The hippo:

The sloth bears are actually highlighted at the entrance, but we didn't see any until a little before we left we happened to be eating near the space and got to see one (albeit not a great view). They are actually one of my favorite animals at this zoo. They are so funny looking!




2 comments:

Claire said...

Well you know I love these!! Thank you for taking the time - I love you dear Lauren - Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you did this! I loved when I would work up the thing to take thie kids somewhere special. I also think the more you do that the easier they get at going with the flow and knowing that fun is always just around the corner. I also love the sloth bears!