CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Pictures from Memorial Day

Here are the pictures I took around Arlington when we went to say "thanks" to my dad. It was really nice to be there on Memorial Day and remember that it's really a day to celebrate with more meaning then a day off of work and picnics. I am glad that despite being turned away earlier in the day and a lot of frustration in the car as a result, that we went back. The view from JFK's spot (what the heck is that called, I can't think of it since that is what I call visiting my dad with Caed) was beautiful and it was so peaceful there too. Caed was so good because before we got there he was fussy (wanted to walk, not pushed in the stroller) and then we saw the sign to be silent and respectful, and we told him that the sign said we had to be quiet, or we would get in trouble and so he was quiet! Then at the changing of the guard (we didn't take the handicapped way, so it was a lot of stairs to negotiate with the jogger stroller!) he was silent the entire time too! What a good boy he's becoming, although the signs of the terrible twos ("mommy, stop talking!"- a new favorite phrase when I'm on the phone) are coming, at least there are glimpses of being well behaved!



JFK's gravesite:

The view:


Tomb of the Unknown Soldier:



Changing of the guards:


I don't think those green things are always there, but I do know the President was there earlier in the day (the reason for being turned around our first try) and thinking that's why, but don't know for sure:


Every single headstone had a flag at it. Jon said that one of the infantry divisions always puts them out and it only takes them 3 hours! There must be a lot of men doing it!




3 comments:

kenady said...

thank you so much for sharing your photos with us! I can't even tell you the overwhelming emotion I feel just looking at your beautiful photos:)

Claire said...

This means so much to me - thank you for going back and taking the time - I know you and I know you did it for yourself and your family but you also went for all of us - thank you - Mom

Kiki said...

I know daddy would have been proud to have been buried in Arlington and I am so glad that you are able to go and visit from time to time...