CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 28, 2008

Drive Downtown

This morning I was feeling like getting out with Caed and wasn't sure what to do. My sister's and others have been asking me about the Cherry Blossoms here in DC. I have been thinking that although the "officials" have been saying it's peak time, that it wasn't really. But I didn't know for sure since I haven't been downtown in a long time. My neighbor has a cherry tree, and his isn't at peak yet, so I did have a hunch. So this morning as I was talking to my oldest sister, Kristen, I decided to hop in the car with Caed and check out the trees before the weekend set in and all the tourists were swarming.

I didn't pack a lunch and just grabbed the diaper bag, camera bag and stroller. I was driving towards the FDR memorial, and then drove too far west and got directed to Arlington National Cemetery. My dad is buried there, and it's been awhile since I went and decided to take a side trip with Caed to see where Popop was buried. We had a nice time actually and it was nice to do that unexpectedly. Caed loved seeing all the planes fly over and there was a helicopter that was flying low too. I was working with him to identify my dad's name- and since Caed's middle name is my maiden name, I was happy to teach him about that too. After our side trip there, we headed back to the Mall area.

As I got closer to the monuments, the cherry blossoms didn't seem at peak to me. And they weren't really at peak. We ended up parking at Haines Point and walking around there. Today's warm weather might make them better for tomorrow, but I think it's going to be more like Sunday or Monday- hopefully it doesn't rain or get too windy. So we'll go check them out next week too and I'll tell you my unprofessional opinion. There were some nice blooms, but just not peak quite yet.
















8 comments:

Claire said...

On my way home and stopped to visit and saw the incredible photo of Caed "with" Daddy - can't type anymore - tears in the eyes - it is beautiful - thank you - Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your day. It's nice to see DC through others' eyes. Your little boy is so adorable.

kenady said...

I heard on the news that the Cherry Blossoms weren't due until next week. The ones in Japan are blooming, though, if you want to go there and take some photos:)

The photo of Caed w/ your father is amazing. Thank you for sharing:)

Kiki said...

Lauren, I'm borrowing the pics of Caed and posting them on my blog...is that okay??? Full credit to you of course. Not that could take credit for Caed, he's beautiful!!

katrinahsmith said...

What fabulous shots, Lauren! I have to jump on the family band wagon and say how touching the photo of Caed and his grandad is.

Logzie said...

Wow! Those photos are amazing but the one with Caed at your Dad's memorial...Priceless. Thank you for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

You went to Puerto Rico?

Claire said...

omigosh - I am sitting here laughing like crazy at the Puerto Rico comment - you are so funny - I love it. Thanks