CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Celebrity Gossip




After I had Caed and knew that there were other celebrities who had had kids right about the same time, I all of the sudden had this obsession to want to see pictures of them with their kids. (I think it was all the hormones after having Caed) It became an addiction to check out people.com too often. I recently read the blog of another mom who said for Lent she was giving up celebrity gossip. I had contemplated this as well, but thought it was so dumb that I even had to "give it up"- it shouldn't matter to me in the first place. About the same time I was looking on people.com and saw this picture of Adrian Grenier (i don't even really know who he is) and it made me really evaluate what searching for celebrity gossip was keeping me from. I felt like his note was being held up just for me. These poor people are being photographed doing everyday things and can't live a single moment without a photographer. Why was I contributing to this...? So I was challenged to not be distracted by celebrity gossip...I've gone to look at the home page a few times, but I've definitely stopped looking through photos of celebrities shopping, pushing their kids, working on sets, going to premieres and awards shows and all the other things that they do.

I had decided to stop being concerned with it before, but I always wanted to check it out one more time. This time I was really encouraged to use my time more wisely and I'm thankful that Jess posted her thoughts about 'her time'- as a homeschooling mom, I'm sure she's got less time to herself then me!



6 comments:

kenady said...

I definitely know what you are talking about! I so enjoy reading People magazine... between me and my other female managers, we keep the break room stocked with celebrity gossip magazines. I have scaled down quite a bit on how many I buy in a week/month, and find myself trying to find something better to read, like Real Simple magazine, etc. But every now and again, I fall victim to my deisre to know what is going on in Hollywood. I attribute it to not having enough of my own drama, that I need to fill in with celebrity drama. Who knows. Anyway, glad to hear I am not the only one with the issue:)

pgvet2 said...

This is a great post that really hit home with me. Even though I only live about an hour from Hollywood, here lately I have been reading a blog about celeb gossip... to much! I'm guessing this poor guy in the picture carries that card around with him and flashes it whenever the poparazzi take pictures of him. I think the card serves two purposes, one to ruin the picture for the pop and two to make people think about how much time we waste, just as it did with us.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I hope you and the family are well.

Logzie said...

Okay...I am a closet celebrity gossip reader too. I'm embarrassed to admit it. But your post hit home. I don't buy the magazines...I just check out people.com. It all started when I was pregnant with my 3rd child and I would go to Barne's and Noble just to get out of the house. I usually grabbed the People magazine and read it. My hormones were raging and I was suffering from depression because of it. Honestly, reading about their sad lives somehow made mine feel so much better. But you have made me think and I too and going to be done. I am going to delete the People.com link off my computer after I hit publish. Lord knows I've got much better things to do with my time! Thanks!!!

LPeterson said...

It's amazing, but I know so many people who just can't do without the celebruty gossip- for whatever reason. I am glad I am not alone in this, but it does take time out of my day, and I could be enjoying something so much more worthwhile I've decided. And it is like card that that guy was holding- it's a distraction from other things....It's taken me nearly two years to finally be able to break myself!

Claire said...

Thanks Lauren for the wake up call about our priorities - it is something I struggle with all the time - especially with my TV watching - finally went back to the basic cable of $9.99 and I can't watch BRAVO or HGTV anymore - when was I going to stop watching the weddings or House Hunter on my own????? Staying up late - constantly channel surfing -
Thinking I was just going to watch one show !!!!! and a whole evening would go by - and I will admit if there is a People magazine within reach I am going to read it - haven't gone online with it yet so I am going to heed your warning about going in that direction!!! There are a lot of people at my work that are always there.
Mom

Kayris said...

OK, I know who that guy is, but only because I watched "The Devil Wears Prada" last week.

The computer overall has been a huge time suck for me.

This week is turn off the boob tube week, so in addition to not watching TV, I am trying to stay off the computer a little too.