CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Garden

This year I moved my vegetable garden to my front yard. We have a very nice yard considering we are in dc and don't own a 1/2 million dollar home. I tried for two years to grow a vegetable garden in my backyard in the shade of our willow tree. I tried my hardest to keep the tree trimmed, and keep the garden healthy but it just didn't work. I got one tomato off of a plant and some lettuce! So this year in the spring I took out some hedges that i hated and moved the garden to the front yard (off to the side, not in the center) and I have had so much already!! I planted tomatoes (3 kinds) Japanese eggplant, banana peppers, green peppers, yellow squash, and cucumbers. I didn't plan well, but I wasn't sure how it was going to go- so I have a squash overcrowding issue, but otherwise all my plants are producing so much!! I'll be doing a little reworking of my back garden (to shade enjoying plants) and take all the hard work out of vegetable gardening in the future (as long as we live there!). Here is a picture I took of last weeks crop. A lot of the success is also due to a neighbor who has graciously been watering our plants while we've been travelling so much.



I also planted zinnias from seed, and I planted Gerber Daisy's which keep producing as well, and here's my little bouquet that I clipped from my shadier back yard...



5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kenady said...

Maybe next year I will try my hand at vegetable gardening. I've spent the last 3-4 honing in on my flower planting skills... now that I have that down I may move on:) Your veggies look delicious and I love your bouquet.

Teresa said...

Impressive!! I love love love that bouquet...gerbers are my favorite and those colors are georgeous together! Good job!

Jan said...

wow! I'm impressed! :)
We have too many wild animals out here in Arlington to grow much - this year the rabbits are eating my zinnias.

Claire said...

Great job!!! I can't believe you are growing all this in that little veggie patch!!!