CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

yippee!

Last week I made a run to Target for diapers, and as usual came home with more. While I was there I had picked up a bag of bird seed. I've always liked the idea of feeding the birds, my grandparents always did it, and my one sister does too, and I am sure there are others- but I hesitated because of living in such a small space. Well this last week apparently I had a change of heart. I bought a bag, and what I thought was going to be an inexpensive bird feeder. (bird feeder wasn't inexpensive, so I didn't buy it, and only left with the bag of seed.) I got home and told Caed we would feed the birds, so we sprinkled the seed on the ground around our tree. I also thought this might be a good idea to attract birds to eat all the bugs in our yard come spring. (nasty grubs hopefully!) So we waited. later in the week I went on another errand and the store happened to have cheap bird feeders, so I bought one there. I hung it out with seed in it and still no birds. All weekend, not a single peep. I would go outside and hear the birds far away, but none in my yard.

Then today around noon, I went to look out back for no particular reason and we had 5 Blue Jays, a Cardinal, and a woodpecker!!! They were so cool! They were so colorful, like someone plucked them out of the bird book and put them there! I was so excited. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, Caed was at a friend's house, so he didn't see them. Also a little while later a cat showed up and now no more birds. But they know it's here! And I am so happy about that! They were eating the seed from around the willow tree, so I'll have to move the bird feeder and hope they come back to the more safer place to eat with a cat around...

I can't believe they were all such pretty birds that were out there- and I don't think there was a single chickadee or plain looking bird. Trucks and birds make this girl happy and I feel blessed that something so small made me so happy. Can't wait to get my camera out to take a picture of the birds! (These are not my photos)

4 comments:

kenady said...

I got so excited when I saw the pictures before I read your disclaimer:) I had a similar experience when I brought home a hummingbird feeder this summer. It created so much excitement in our front yard for me and my 2 kids just to see this tiny, amazing creature. And capturing in on film is a little harder than you would expect, but I tried. I can't wait for you to get your camera back to see what shots you are able to capture.

Kiki said...

Lauren, I can't wait to see your pictures either, I kow they will be gorgeous, you have a great talent! I am feeding the birds too, what I want now is a bird bath, not sure if I want to take on that much work though, all the cleaning and stuff, I remember how much work it was for Nana and Grampy keeping those birds fed and watered...all year long! Whew!

April Joy said...

lol...it's nana...she's done this to us ;) and it's what makes life fun

Logzie said...

I would love to see a picture of a woodpecker...

We have a feeder off our deck and the kids love to watch the birds too! Oh, the simple things in life that we Mom's get to experiece all over again thanks to our little ones...isn't it great?